10.08.2010

Chalkboard Sign Redo

I have been wanting to do a chalkboard paint project for a while, and I have also had a good-sized wooden sign that has not had a home since we moved to our new house.  Finally, the pieces came together and this project happened.  I didn't take a great before picture, but I was able to find a photo that gives you the idea:
I sanded down the part of the wood that had the writing, removed the thin wire hanger, and drilled bigger holes.  Then, I painted about three coats of apple green over the top of the black and sanded the edges a little bit.  Next, I taped off the area I wanted to be the chalkboard and painted about three coats of chalkboard paint.  After the paint was dry, I seasoned the chalkboard paint, threaded on the ribbon hanger, and wrote a festive message! 
I am very pleased with the result!  I love that I just erase the writing and have a year-round message board.

1 comment:

bamatamb said...

I love this! I tried to do a similar idea, but I thought it would be fun to do white chalkboard paint. I have never really loved it though; maybe I didn't "season" it right. I've been thinking about redoing it with black chalkboard paint instead, cuz I think it's more "tried and true" than white. Someday I'll have to show you and get your opinion. Anyway, your sign looks great!