10.25.2010

Birdcage Redo

Last week, I had my first experience with using a glaze.  I have been wanting to brighten up my black birdcage for a while.  After I started, I realized that I chose a really intricate piece for my first try, but it all worked out in the end.

Since the birdcage was already the color that I wanted to show through beneath the crackle, I didn't have to do any painting before the glaze.
This is the before photo.  I cleaned up all the dust before I started.  I got the Weathered Crackle Glaze from Lowe's and a quart of cream-colored paint with a flat finish.  

*Note: It is very important to get paint with a flat finish, otherwise the topcoat paint won't crack.  I also tried using flat spray paint, but that doesn't work either.

The first thing I did after cleaning the birdcage was to paint a coat of glaze over the entire cage, starting with the inside.  Next, I waited for the glaze to dry for one hour.  Now I had a three-hour window in which to do the cream-colored paint.  After four hours, the glaze doesn't do the crackle effect anymore.
The topcoat was the most time-consuming part of the project.  The paint needs to be applied in as little strokes as possible to prevent the glaze from coming up and gumming in with the paint.  I tried get as much coverage with one stroke as I could.  It turned out pretty well overall.  There were some spots where I had a little bit of trouble, but I am very pleased with the results, especially for my first crackle project.

Luckily, I have a lot of glaze and paint left over, so I will be able to do many more projects like this.  I would recommend anything with lots of flat surfaces for a first project, like a message board or picture frame.


4 comments:

Kendra@My Insanity said...

You did a beautiful job. It looks just like it was meant to have that finish. But tell me, where do you find a great birdcage like that? I see them all over blogland, but never in real life.

Audrey @ The Cloth Parcel said...

Thanks Kendra! I actually found this beauty at a model home furniture auction a couple of years ago. You can get a great deal on little things there, because most people are only there for the big furniture.

Anonymous said...

wow so impressed, The bird cage is just beautiful and i love what you have done with it. Your really talented.

Where did you get all the paint etc from places like b&q eg Weathered Crackle Glaze and a quart of cream-colored paint with a flat finish. Is it possible for you to put pictures up of all the material you use for you stuff as that would be handy.

Audrey @ The Cloth Parcel said...

Hey there, Anon! I wish I had a way to contact you and tell you that I will be posting a detailed crackle glaze tutorial either this week or next, depending on the weather. I will have photos of the products I use, the steps I take, and the finished product. Check back soon!