12.08.2011

DIY Kindle Sleeve

I got a Kindle Touch for my birthday a couple of weeks ago (yeah!).  When I looked at how much a protective sleeve would cost, I was surprised to see that they ran anywhere from $20-35 (boo!).  I discovered this Laptop/Kindle/iPad Sleeve Tutorial on The Cottage Home.  What I loved the most about this tutorial was that you can adjust the size of your pattern to fit whatever rectangular gadget you want.
I did tweak the pattern a tiny bit, using fabric with fusible fleece interfacing and flannel instead of just fabric and fleece, which meant I had to decrease my seam allowances for the outside layer.  I sewed my first buttonholes by machine, which wasn't as scary as I thought it might be.
I wouldn't try to make a sleeve much smaller than this one, which is about 6"x8".  It was a little bit tricky to maneuver at times.  One of my favorite parts of this sleeve is the flannel print I used on for the lining-- black and white skeleton keys.  I didn't know what I wanted this fabric for when I bought it, but I love it and was so happy to use it!
The yellow buttons also make me happy.  Time-wise, this project took me a couple of hours, if you don't count unpicking time.  I am really pleased with the result, and I love that I can just toss it in my purse without worrying about hurting my Kindle.  Plus, I was able to use materials that I already had on-hand, so this cost me nothing!  If you are in the market for a protective sleeve, seriously check out the awesomely detailed tutorial that I used.
Linked up: Tatertots & Jello

No comments: