8.17.2011

Chalkboard Calendar

I went to a neighborhood fundraiser a few months ago and came home with this chalkboard calendar vinyl from my friend Amie at Willow Creek Signs.  I knew right where I wanted to put it, but I had some qualms about putting the vinyl directly on the wall.  Now, I know that vinyl doesn't damage your walls, but here's my biggest problem:  I love to redecorate.  And, the truth is, I really can't commit to something like vinyl directly on the walls.  I also know that it's removable, but you can't reuse it.  With all that said, I used my vinyl to create this calendar board for the sad and lonely giant wall in my laundry room:
Best part about this project?  I already had everything for it on-hand.  Plus, I did every bit of the work for it myself.  Cutting, sanding, painting, drilling the holes, applying the vinyl; you name it, I did it.  One of my favorite parts of the board is the jute cording detail.
It was one of those ideas that just randomly came to me, and I love it.  As far as writing on this chalkboard calendar, I wanted to use something besides chalk that was a little bit more permanent(we're talking wet-erase here) and a little bit less dusty.  I love the look of the Liquid Chalk Markers, but I can't really justify spending more on the markers than on the board itself.  I can't find these sold as individual markers online or in retail stores at all.  Let me just say, dragging a husband, toddler, and baby around looking for these was kind of a nightmare.  I tried craft stores and office supply stores with no luck.  However, I happened upon a suitable alternative for the time being (until I can get a set of Liquid Chalk markers for my birthday or Christmas) at Shopko, of all places.
Expo Neons!  The only reason that I tried these was because the package said they worked on black surfaces.  I'd say they do a decent job.  Since I am writing on chalkboard vinyl, which is not as smooth as a dry erase board, they act like wet erase markers instead of dry erase.  Cha-ching!  Exactly what I wanted.  It will be interesting to see how they work in the long run, but for now I am pretty pleased with them.
This photo is to give you a better idea of the scale of the chalkboard compared to the rest of the room.  The laundry room is still a work in progress, but I am happy I can already use the calendar.  I hope to paint the laundry and hall before it gets too crazy with holidays and such.  The color I am wanting is Velvet Slipper by Olympic.  It looks a little bit dustier in real life versus the color on their website.  I think my husband is ready for another painting experience. . .

No comments: