3.19.2011

The Lemonade Incident

So. . . I had a crazy, crazy week.  Do you ever have things happen to you that aren't supposed to happen to someone your age?  Prepare yourself for a long, drawn-out, and maybe even slightly-exaggerated story.

Let us all travel back to Monday morning.  My daughter woke up extra early (dang you, Daylight Savings!) and I was barely at a functioning level.  I went to the fridge to satisfy her pleadings with a sippy cup of milk.  As I opened the door, a precariously-perched, nearly-full pitcher of lemonade tumbled from the top shelf to the floor.  The lemonade flooded my feet and the floor.  Of course, it was then that I realized that all of the kitchen lights were still off and the sun was not yet up.

I spent a few minutes mopping up the mess with the fridge door open, but once I had the inside of the fridge cleaned out, I closed the door (to save energy, of course).  I imagined myself gracefully leaping over the spill and effortlessly flipping on the kitchen lights.  As it happened, I gracefully leapt into a pool of lemonade.  Now, don't get ahead of me.  This isn't even the best part. 

I did not completely fall into the lemonade.  I did, however, pull a whole bunch of muscles that I didn't even know I had in the process of catching myself.  Granted, I did have a baby four months ago, but honestly, at age 24, I think I ought to have just a bit more resilience.  I mean, I have been an athlete my whole life, and I have been 30-Day-Shredding it for over two months.  I know this seems like the end of the story, but brace yourself, because it's about to get better.

About an hour later, I was sifting through some emails, having cleaned up all the lemonade and left that whole incident in the past.  I took a little break to stretch, reaching my arms up above my head and arching my back.  Mid-stretch, there was a huge pop and pain all in my upper back and neck.  As soon as I realized that I couldn't move, I called my wonderful husband and had him come home from work to take the babe to her doctor's appointment.  By the end of Monday, it began to dawn on me that things weren't just going to fix themselves.  Which, by the way, is that too much to ask?

On Tuesday, I was able to get an appointment with a chiropractor in my usual office, but not with my usual doctor, who was booked out for a week and a half.  The guy I saw was able to get me partially back together, so instead of not being able to turn my head to the right at all, I could turn it a little bit.  He told me that I had popped one of the cartilage out from between the vertebrae, and he hadn't been able to get it all the way back.  With a two-year-old and a baby, this was not ideal.

On the way out of the office, I saw my regular doctor (who has a very real gift with his trade) and he told me that he would give up part of his lunch break the next day to see me.  So, on Wednesday, I went in and he fixed everything in about ten minutes.  He believes that the lemonade slip weakened my back enough that it was able to overstretch enough for the injury.

I am still sore and letting my back rest as much as I can.  If you're still with me, thanks for joining me for a little life story time.  I hope to get back to creating next week.  I still have a lot of things in the works, as usual, but here's what I'm thinking about tonight: our bathroom mirror frame (it's all up, just needs the caulk!), a couple of wreaths that are kind of at a standstill, the crackle glaze tutorial (I know, I know) and a stenciled onesie for my little gal.

4 comments:

Lorena Guerra said...

this was such a painful story to read! A slipped cartilage?! Glad to hear everything turned out alright though. Take some time to rest!

Audrey @ The Cloth Parcel said...

I know, right?! I am finally feeling like I may be just about back to normal, although I am still afraid to do any serious stretching.

Cookie Crum said...

Audrey!! I can't beliveve that happened! Please let me know if you need something, I have been concerned for you....take it easy

Kim Crump

Audrey @ The Cloth Parcel said...

Hey Kim, thanks for the concern! I am doing much better. Things are pretty much back to normal, just no hard workouts or super heavy lifting for a while.