2.28.2011

Domestic Science Club

Since it's been a while since I posted something, and since all three of my current projects (bathroom mirror frame, DIY magnetic knife rack, and spring wreath) are still in the works, I thought I would post about a subject near and dear to my heart.

The Domestic Science Club!

My friend Cami had the idea to start a club where we get together and teach each other the crafts we each know. She got the idea from a homesteading skills group her grandmother was a part of about a century ago, called the Domestic Science Club.

In January 2010, we started things off with an Interior Design Seminar/Demonstration. We talked about design fundamentals, picking colors, and furniture arrangement, among other things. Beforehand, we did a room makeover with only things on hand and did the reveal that night. We had a huge turnout from our great neighborhood gals and had a lot of fun. In the months since, some of the other things we have learned to do are garden, make jewelry, make sushi, sew girls' skirts, make homemade chocolates, and can chicken. A couple of our future meetings will be about presentation and staging, and how to do the crackle glaze that I used on the boxwood topiary and the birdcage redo.

This week, Cami and I will be on the radio on Classical 89.1(89.5 in Cache Valley) for those of you readers in Utah. We were interviewed about our club and its roots a couple of weeks ago, and there will be two thirty-second spots that will each air once on Wednesday and once on Thursday. I do have the audio files that I will try to figure out how to post once they have aired.

We are super excited about this opportunity! My sister has started her own chapter of the Domestic Science Club in North Carolina. If you are interested in starting your own group, send me an email with any questions to audzipan(at)gmail(dot)com and I will help get you started. Together we can save the dying arts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a cool idea, wish I lived near enough to take part! :-)